Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Decisions, Mecisions

After Nanny Siew Lian (Cat, I know what you're going to say. Even the name befits her 'role', rite?) suddenly got into a coughing fit for almost a week and the subsequent xrays showed white spots on the lungs, it was a mutual understanding that she would have to stop caring for Seo Yeon. 

Sigh. It had been a pretty comfortable arrangement for me with Nanny SL looking after Seo Yeon on a part-time basis so far. I could at least give myself some free time to run errands that had to be done without a child hanging at the hip. Especially those indulgent ones like manicures/pedicures, facials... And of course for times when En Bi had to be accompanied into class.


So from last week, I was suddenly thrown into the world that a few mommies I know have already been living in, i.e. the world of 'looking after the child by yourself only'. When Friday neared, it occurred to me that I had no backup to look after Seo Yeon while I bring En Bi for her Shichida lessons. I had no choice but to ask Uncle Tee for help because I knew that he was on leave that day to bring my cousin and her family around. At least I knew that they would all be able to help me with her for that 2.5hours. Their babysitting turned out to be relatively effortless because they brought her to the fish farm where she enjoyed herself tremendously feeding the fishes.


Prior to handing Seo Yeon over to Uncle Tee, I had decided to go along with Catherine for her appointments at Pibo and  Odyssey since I had some spare time, thinking that it would be good to look at some pre-schools in Bukit Timah area. It would logistically be quite reasonable to have Seo Yeon there since En Bi's school is in the vicinity . But the former was definitely out, while the latter was out-of-reach. Lucky Bernice is going there though!


After mulling the problem over the weekend and discussing the situation with Cat, I went down to S.E.E.D.S at both Tembeling and Katong Presbyterian Church today. Both principals were very professional and polite. Both centres had their pros and cons. Seo Yeon seemed very comfortable at both centres.... At Tembeling, Mrs. Yong led her to the PG area without me and she followed and even stayed there for a wee bit, playing with a toy before decided that she wanted to look for me. At KPC, she was wandering around and exploring the PG and Nursery area on her own while Vicki and I stood near her discussing.  I was still undecided.


We headed to Parkway Parade for lunch. Settled for Toby's because I wanted to try something new and didn't want to walk too far. The only satisfying thing about lunch was that I had come to a conclusion about where I will want to send Seo Yeon. I'll send her to Praise (exactly same curriculum as SEEDS) at KPC. We'll start our new adventure next week!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done.. decision make in a jiffy :) now the mental preparation

mommykim said...

oh..... i thought it would be easier since i had done it before... i guess every child is really special. no 2 experiences are the same.

Anonymous said...

that's really sweet what you said :) I always felt that you were closer to enbi